Thursday, March 5, 2009

Proud Parents

Today Justin and I welcomed into the world our first born...a healthy baby boy we named Ryker James. And, he's absolutely perfect!!

I guess even with a scheduled c-section there can still be surprises! I hadn't been feeling well the last few days, only normal, right, at 38 weeks. Even so, my mom insisted I call the doctor office and let them know that his movements had declined tremendously and my swelling had increased. When I got there, they hooked me up to a machine where they could monitor fetal movements. After an hour of monitoring his heartbeat, the nurses assured me all was ok and that I would be delivering next week as scheduled. However, when Dr. Albrecht arrived at the office she noticed a variation in his heartbeat. To mom and I's surprise, she looked at me and pronounced, "Let's take him today".

A mixture of relief, anxiety and pure excitement washed over me. I had to get my husband home from Lafayette immediately! After a few phone calls, we were at the hospital and I was being prepped for surgery. Exactly two hours after hearing the news that I was going to deliver, I was in the surgery room with my mom and Justin at my side.

At 1:30pm, Ryker arrived. Turns out, the cord had been wrapped around his neck tight three times and that is why he never flipped. Good thing we had listened to our gut and gone into the doctor office today - mother's intuition! I am so thankful to Dr. Albrecht for listening to her intuition as well. And of course, we are also thankful to God for having His hands on our little baby the whole time.

He weighed 6lbs 7ounces. (Surprising, since we were told that we were having a 9lb baby!) They measured him at 17 inches; however, we later found out he's 18 3/4" in length. Either way, he's healthy and beautiful.

Thank you, God, for this little miracle! We promise to take extra special care of him, to teach him all about You and to spoil him like crazy!

For all the pictures, visit www.kodakgallery.com/reeves. Thanks Blair, for helping get some great shots!





Proud Daddy announcing his name, Ryker James

Aunt Jillian drove in from Houston

Aunt Anne drove in from Lafayette & Aunt Blair came from Nola

Aunt Steph was taking an exam and drove in from Baton Rouge

Uncle Ches

Lovey

Papa Chet

Aunt Karen

Aunt Shirley

Ryker James Reeves

No comments: